Human Trafficking is not something that only happens to "other" people in countries internationally. It's happening in your own backyard. Just because you don't know anything about it, doesn't mean it's not happening.
Below are some GLOBAL statistics on this horrific injustice.
Estimates from the 2010 Trafficking in Persons Report by the U.S. Department of State
- Number of slaves around the world: 12.3 million
- Percentage of victims identified: 0.4% (not even 1%)
- Ratio of convicted offenders to victims identified: 8.5 to 100
- Child/Human Trafficking is one of the fastest growing crimes in the world. Child/ human trafficking is the world’s second largest criminal enterprise, after drugs
- The global market of child trafficking at over $12 billion a year with over 12 million child victims
- The average entry age of American minors into the sex trade is 12-14 years old
- Many victims are runaway girls who have already suffered sexual abuse as children
- The prevalence and anonymity of the internet has fueled the rapid growth of sex trafficking, making the trade of women and children easier than ever before